About Me

My photo
i moved where my heart had drifted off to long before. i live on a hill of hundred acres, where my dreams have merged with the view. it is quiet from machine noises yet loud with sounds of horses, dogs, cats chickens and ducks. nature is the true artist in resident and i am just her apprentice who often gets lost in her gaze. once and a while i travel back to cities and foreign places to put into photographs what i have learned, yet always, part of my heart is left on the hill..

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Heart


I could write about many things
but I choose this story because
it chose me.

I was in second grade the teacher as she often did,
opened the floor to questions. Classmates
would ask a wide variety ranging from nature
to science silly to the intelligent..when a student asked
"why does Julie wear that scarf/bandana around her
head" the teacher said that she would answer that
one on another day. The next day I sat next to Julie
on the bus, and she asked if I would like to come
over one day and play, sure i said and started playing with her from then on.
Julie would not be in school for days at a time...
Julie had cancer. Although my parents did their best to explain
I think for me, it was simply; Julie has something that made her
loose her hair and stay home at times.

One weekend just before Valentines day I walked to Julie's after
school for a planned sleep-over. Arriving at Julie's house
her mother greeted me at the door and said that there had been a change of plans
and then she drove me home. Julie died the very next day on Valentines day.

A week had passed by when the teacher said that she had something to give us.
She told us how Julie had made hearts for everyone. The teacher called each student
one at time and handed them a hand colored paper heart, she was done calling out
names when I realized that mine was not to be called . I was very sad. When class was coming to an end
the teacher called me to her desk and handed me a very large paper heart that Julie had made for me.
Julie only had time to color it halfway......

No comments: