About Me

My photo
i moved where my heart had drifted off to long before. i live on a hill of hundred acres, where my dreams have merged with the view. it is quiet from machine noises yet loud with sounds of horses, dogs, cats chickens and ducks. nature is the true artist in resident and i am just her apprentice who often gets lost in her gaze. once and a while i travel back to cities and foreign places to put into photographs what i have learned, yet always, part of my heart is left on the hill..

Sunday, January 13, 2008

fruit


When I first came here
I expected to eat fruit
morning, noon and
night but I believed that
that there would be an
abundance of it here on
the island.

The island that has perfect
growing conditions for such fruit
as mangoes, papaya,
bread fruit, bananas
avocado and so many
more are now imported in?

I had been eating apples
but that was not what I had in mind
a roadside vendor had pineapple
and avocado but where is the rest...

My host informed that it was not available
even discouraged me from having a street
vendor machete a coconut for me...

Today after a beautiful swim and the beach
with a family form st-croix that I had met
a few days before invited me to a fish frye
(a version of our barb-b-q) Arriving at there
home in the middle of the rainforest and a
brilliant view of the ocean...They ate and chatted
about local politics very heated! when I started walking
the property - there all around me , papaya, coconut,
bananas, sour fruit, mangoes and a bayleaf tree that smelled
unbelievable... when I asked and said I thought it was not the season for
all of these...they replied "of course it is" They turned around to my
host and asked why he had not brought me to where I could find fruit..I was curious
myself..he replied " well I don't eat fruit"....

It is amazing to me, how easily it is to believe people
and how someone will try to rob you from an experience
but I was not robbed- nope

No comments: